Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hola Amigos!  Como fue su dia?  Espero que bien!  

First of all, I wanted to thank you all for all of the well wishes!  Being stuck at home that first week was rough, and I couldn't have made it without all the encouragement!  My foot is getting stronger each day and I should be off crutches in about 3 weeks if everything goes smoothly.  I am looking forward to being able to carry my own dishes into the kitchen and to actually stand in front of my class.  Although, I'm starting to think that the crutches are actually helping my kids stay quiet.  Last week, Daniel asked me why I keep my crutches right next to me, and I said it was so I could whack him every time I catch him speaking in Spanish!  You can't joke like that in the States, but here they think it's hilarious.  Physical touch makes a lot of people feel awkward and uncomfortable, but not here.  The students will perceive you as cold or mean if you don't hug them multiple times a day.  I've even seen a Prepa teacher thump her student on the head for sticking his tongue out.  You would for sure get sued for that in CA.  

Today was another good day with my kiddos.  I talked in a previous blog about how many resources Lincoln has and I have had a blast figuring them all out.  The students get an hour in the science lab each week, which is one of my favorite periods.  Instead of just having science in the classroom, we mix it up by going to the lab to do experiments and activities.  Yesterday, we did a bunch of things on gravity.  First, I had them predict if they thought heavy objects fall faster to the ground that lighter objects.  Then they got to test out their hypotheses.  



Next, we talked about center of gravity and how we can affect our own center of gravity.  I had them flat against the wall and told them to bend over and pick up their papers.  Do you think they could do it without falling?

Nope, they fell. But no one broke a foot, so we're good.  

Today, I taught a social studies lesson using the ELMO lab which a portable cart with laptops for the kids to use.  They all love using the computers.  We are also using the SmartBoard tomorrow, which is so cool.  It's looks like a dry erase board, but it is totally electronic.  There are these special pens that write like a laser pointer.  There is even an electronic eraser that you rub on the board to erase things just like on a regular white board.  I am definitely taking advantage of the cool electronic stuff now because I don't think I'll be seeing most of this stuff again in the US.  We can't even afford pencils, much less an electronic white board.  

This past weekend, Sage and I got to hang out with our host parents and their extended family for a little birthday bash.  It was Mama Tica's birthday on Friday, so we all went over to her daughter Karin's house for a BBQ.  Karin and her husband Alfonso have an adorable house in San Pedro, which is about 20 minutes away from where we live.  I had such a fun time!  It reminded me of having get-togethers with my family for every possible event.  We had grilled corn (like the kind from the OC fair..yum!), tfresh tortillas, carne asada, potatoes, chips, guacamole, and of course cake and ice cream.  For those of you who have been asking for pictures of my host family, here's one of everyone:    

Erick and his wife (and Carlita), Karin (and baby Natalia) and Alfonso, Erik's two stepsons, Luis (papa tico), Abuelita, and Ana (mama tica)

So there you go...  That's pretty much it for now.  Tomorrow is a half day and a "jeans day", where students don't have to wear their uniforms, so it should be an insane day!  A group of us are going out to see a movie after school at this theater where you can order food and drinks right from your seat!!  There's nothing like a glass of wine and a box of hot tamales to go with a good movie!!

xoxo



1 comments:

kendra said...

1. warning: your kids will be crazy. i don't know why or how jeans do that to the kids, but get ready :)

2. i totally recognize your students. the girl with the glasses is super sweet and has the cutest little brother. isn't she on your bus?

2. karin is preggers? yaaaay.

3. did they have a HUGE bag of marshmallows at the party? the family party that i went to with them, they had these dyed mallows and i thought, "that's weird. who is going to eat those?" and they were the biggest hit.

4. i am living vicariously through you and your blog. pura vida!